The Codington County Extension Complex serves as the center for many different services and functions. We are home to the popular Watertown Winter Farm Show held in February of each year. This event brings thousands of people from all over the Midwest to Watertown. Other popular events using our facility as a host site include Watertown Home Builders Show, 4-H Achievement Days, Pro-Pheasants Banquet, Curt Carter Memorial Gun Show, Big Boy Toy Show, Advantage RV’s Spring Camper Show, North Country Fiber Fair, Brookings Rabbit Show, Blue Door Derby Camel Races, Farm Business Banquet, Jordan Mack Memorial Calf Show, Lake City Racing Pigeon Show, SDSU Crops Expo, and many others. The Complex is used to host events of all sizes including livestock shows and sales; club, company and organizational meetings; auctions; Christmas parties; wedding receptions; and even private parties and family gatherings. To view upcoming events scheduled at the Extension Complex, click here –Building Calendar
The Codington County Extension Complex is also the location of the Watertown Regional Extension Center and Codington County Planning and Zoning Department.
The Codington County Extension Complex is also the administrative office of the local 4-H organization. Jodi Loehrer serves Codington County as the 4-H Youth Program Advisor and maintains her office at the Complex.
The largest youth serving organization in the world is 4-H. Anyone between the ages of 8 and 18 can join. Any boy or girl wanting to have fun, make new friends and learn are invited to be a part of 4-H. Group activities and events such as camps, trips, workshops, junior leaders, performing arts, Achievement Days and conferences provide additional opportunities and learning experiences outside the club membership experience. Members choose the projects that fit their individual interests. Find us on Facebook!
4-H Enrollment Form: (enrollment is closed, please check back 10/1/2019)
- If youth are interested in joining Cloverbuds or 4-H they will need to complete the enrollment form above. This can be returned to the Codington County Extension Office at 1910 West Kemp Ave. along with the required fee.
Cloverbuds Brochure: (enrollment is closed, please check back 10/1/2019)
- Cloverbuds is a program for youth ages 5-7 that meet once a month after school in Waverly, Florence or Watertown. The cost to join is $10.00, this covers the cost of snacks, activities and insurance. See the brochure for more information.
4-H Brochure: 4-H Brochure 2018
- 4-H youth ages 8-18 can join one of our 14 clubs that meet once a month or participate in a community service project in their community. There are many projects and activities they can be involved in, see the brochure for more information. The cost to join which covers insurance fees is $1.50 for a regular member and $2.50 for a horse member.
Opportunities are available for local youth to participate in Progressive Farm Safety Day, Kid Kare Babysitting Clinic, Youth Outreach, Strengthening Families, I-Grow Reader, Power Chef, sewing workshops, and much more.
* SDSU Extension Flood page with resources for home, ag, and families https://extension.sdstate.edu/tags/flood
* Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website https://www.cdc.gov/disasters/floods/index.html
* South Dakota Department of Health flood response page http://doh.sd.gov/Flood/Health.aspx
The Food Preservation Workshop that was originally scheduled for Tuesday, June 24 has been canceled due to lack of registration. Please be watching as another Workshop will be planned for this Fall.
Due to liability exposure, SDSU Extension staff members and county staff members can no longer test dial pressure canner gauges. Please refer to iGrow article http://igrow.org/healthy-families/food-safety/testing-dial-pressure-canner-gauges/ for information on where to send your gauges to be tested. If you have a home canning or general food safety question, please contact SDSU’s AnswerLine at 1-888-393-6336 or their website: http://www.extension.iastate.edu/humansciences/answerline. SDSU is also in the process of updating the Food Safety section of the iGrow website so you may check out this site as well.
ASK AN EXPERT:
Submit garden/yard inquiries online and an Extension horticulture professional or a Master Gardener will reply to the question via email, typically within 48 hours of inquiry. (Link may change, if it does, search “ask an expert” on Extension website.)
SDSU Regional Extension Center (Entrance A)
1910 W. Kemp Ave.
Watertown, SD 57201
[divider type=”divide-3″] [/divider]Codington County Extension Complex (Entrance B)
1910 West Kemp Avenue
Watertown, SD 57201-3048
8:00 A.M. to 4:30 P.M. – Monday through Friday
[divider type=”divide-3″] [/divider]