Codington County Commissioners
The Codington County Commissioners are responsible for the administration of every service that each county office provides.
The Codington County Commissioners positions are part-time, and they serve a four year term. Each county in South Dakota has a board of 3-5 Commissioners. They are elected to staggered terms of 4-years. Codington County Commissioners meet every Tuesday at 9:00 AM in the County Courthouse, 14 1st Ave. SE.
- The care and preservation or sale of all county property
- The audit of accounts of all offices having the care, management, collection or disbursement of any money belonging to the county
- Levying taxes for County Services
- Construction and repair of bridges
- To open, lay out, vacate and change highways
- To purchase or acquire grounds for courthouse, jail or other building sites
- To establish election precincts in the county and appoint the judges of election
- As a board of equalization, to equalize the assessment roll of the county in the manner provided by law
- To furnish necessary equipment and supplies for county offices
- To superintend the fiscal concerns of the county and secure their management in the best possible manner
- To regulate the transaction of business in alcoholic beverages
- To make ordinances prohibiting the sale or exhibition of any obscene matter
- Zoning, solid waste and water management along with a host of other issues that arise affecting the county.